|How does the campus protect students from identity theft?
NIU Information Technology Services provides education to students, faculty, and staff about the security of their information. Audit requirements are put in place to ensure the best possible security measures are taken. For example, student passwords expire every 365 days and must be at least 10 characters long.
Students are encouraged to maintain their passwords online at www.password.niu.edu. If you have forgotten your password you will be asked to establish two identification verification questions that will help to ensure you are the one to access your personal information in order to reset your password.
- Must be at least 10 characters long.
- Must not include any of the following values: test password.
- Must not include part of your name or username.
- Must not include a common word or commonly used sequence of characters.
- Must have at least three types of the following characters:
- Uppercase (A-Z)
- Lowercase (a-z)
- Number (0-9)
- Symbol (!, #, $, etc.)
- New password may not have been used previously.